Sunday, March 8, 2009

Brain Pop

This is a website that is geared towards elementary school students, however, it has many different videos that can be used as supplemental material in middle and high school classrooms. As a high school history teacher, Brain Pop can be utilized in a number of ways in my classroom.

In terms of videos, the website uses easy language and cartoons that outline major events in our country's history. The positive of the videos is that they outline major events that have occurred in the past. The negatives about the videos are that they do not focus on specifics on these events, primarily because elementary students are not able to analyze specific themes in these events in addition to the cost. I was surprised at how expensive the subscription is......almost $1000 for the school!

Overall, I will continue to use some of the free material that Brain Pop offers, but will not be able to subscribe to utilize all videos. I guess that is why some people have created websites like YouTube and TeacherTube. I hope everyone enjoys the website as much as myself.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I just used BrainPop and also thought it was geared towards elementary students. I never thought of using some of the videos for high school students. After going over the site again, I see what you mean.